SEARCH this blog

Wednesday, January 07, 2015

Waldorf School Bread

I just searched for a SOLID HOUR for a post (with a bread recipe) from long ago.  Now, if I couldn't find it, there is no way in hell anyone else is going to find it either.  Also, I had to remind myself at some point, that I have the recipe memorized, so I could stop obsessing as I looked.  (But I just know it is somewhere, as I have sent the link to many a person!!)

Anyway, my kids both started their education in Waldorf schools.  We were lucky to have connected and/or attended 3 different schools, and have been part of online (ironically) homeschool groups, even though my kids go to public school.  (If you don't know what Waldorf school is, google it because google can give a much better description than I ever could!)

Ok, back to my story...  At all of the Waldorf schools that we have been a part of,  they make this wonderful homemade brown bread as part of the early years curriculum.  That bread with butter and honey on top, as you drink a little tea=complete bliss.  The bread is made with whole wheat flour, which creates a very filling yummy bun, which my dad refers to as "those 2 lbs rolls you make".

Many friends have asked for the recipe, when they try it at my house.  Tate, who is 9, can make the bread by himself, but chooses to let Mama make it, while he steals bit of dough from the kitchen.  Without further ado, here is the recipe:

WALDORF SCHOOL BREAD
2 TBS yeast
1 C warm water
1 stick butter
1 TBS salt
1-2 TBS honey
2 C milk
1 C hot water
4 C whole wheat flour
4 C white flour
*optional: cinnamon, sunflower seeds, nuts, raisins, any spices you like


2 TBS yeast+1 C warm water+teeny bit of honey.
Set aside.
In another large bowl, add:
1 stick of butter (8TBS) room temp+TBS salt+large wooden spoon dollop of honey.
Heat 2 C of milk and add 1 C hot water.
Pour over butter+salt+honey.  Stir with wooden spoon until butter is melted.
When mixture is cool enough to keep finger in for 10 seconds, add yeast mixture and mix.
Add 4 cups of whole wheat flour.  (Mix well with wooden spoon after each cup)
Add about 4 cups of white flour.  (Keep adding slowly until dough is formed.)
Set aside in warm place for 30 minutes.
Add enough white flour to knead the dough* until smooth and form into little rolls.
Bake 350F for 25-30 min.

*Knead the dough for a few minutes.  This is forgiving, as 2-5 year olds usually knead their own bread and it always turns out.



Making little buns out of the dough
Kneading the dough
Yes, those are Mr. Potato Head glasses. 

1 comment:

Gerri said...

This bread sounds relish!! OH, the glasses...xxO